1. You will need a deep, 23cm (9in) loose-bottomed flan tin, a baking tray and baking beans. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
2. To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour leaving a few lumps, add egg and enough cold water to bring the mixture together. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes before you roll it out.
3. Dust a work surface lightly with flour and roll out the pastry to a circle large enough to line the base and sides of the tin. Press on to the base and sides and trim the top edge. Prick the base all over with a fork. Line the pastry case with baking paper and baking beans. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until just coloured, remove the beans and foil and bake for a further 5 minutes to dry out.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Place a heavy baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
5. Beat the eggs and cream together and season with salt and black pepper.
6. Place the chicken, asparagus into the pastry case. Pour in the egg mixture then scatter the cheese over the top.
7. Place the tin on the preheated baking tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and just set in the centre.